Who am I??
Hi and welcome to my blog.
I hope you enjoy reading the content of it as much as I enjoyed writing it.
My name is Rajat Kumar Sharma. I am based out of Gurgaon. An Engineer and MBA graduate by education, I currently work as Director Analytics in a Market Research firm. I wasn't into woodworking till about a year ago. I used to do simple art and craft work out of cardboards and chart paper.
When we shifted to our new home, I wanted a shelf to store all my Art and Craft things. So I bought a sheet of plywood, got it cut into 8 pieces by the carpenter and joined them to make a simple shelf using nails and hammer only. I covered that with different colored chart papers. I thoroughly enjoyed it and everybody in my family liked it. After that, I started looking out for different videos of small DIY stuff that can be made at home. Once I compile a collection of 3-4 ideas, I would plan them out to be cut on a piece of plywood. Then go out, buy and find a carpenter to cut them in required pieces.
This is how I started my woodworking journey in August 2018.
Since then, I got hooked on to woodworking and started watching videos on YouTube, looking at the usage of different tools, going to furniture shops nearby and talk to the woodworkers over there while watching them make different things. These things helped me understand the nuances and gain confidence that I can also do this. I bought various tools and currently, 2 rooms in my house are full of wood, scraps, and tools. Luckily, my wife hasn't started complaining yet about the mess that I make at home :)
The biggest challenge that I faced is that there are very limited resources about woodworking available for India. Almost all of the videos, blogs, articles etc are catering to foreign stuff which either isn't relevant to India or not available. For example, 9 out of 10 videos that you see on youtube, people will be using Table Saw. Though Table Saw is a great and versatile tool, it isn't very popular in India. Same with woods. You will see a lot of outside furniture being made with cedar while you will be lucky to get Cedar in India (I have searched a lot and found one place far away that stock it)
Thus, I thought of starting this blog to write about woodworking from an Indian perspective- writing about woods that are easily available in India, Tools, Finishes and other stuff that is used in Indian market etc. I hope that the contents of this blog will help you to ease up your woodworking journey and you do not have to struggle as much as I did.
I am open to any kind of feedback for improvements, additions, things you want to learn etc. Feel free to reach out to me and I will get back to you...
Happy woodworking...
Cheers,
Rajat
My name is Rajat Kumar Sharma. I am based out of Gurgaon. An Engineer and MBA graduate by education, I currently work as Director Analytics in a Market Research firm. I wasn't into woodworking till about a year ago. I used to do simple art and craft work out of cardboards and chart paper.
When we shifted to our new home, I wanted a shelf to store all my Art and Craft things. So I bought a sheet of plywood, got it cut into 8 pieces by the carpenter and joined them to make a simple shelf using nails and hammer only. I covered that with different colored chart papers. I thoroughly enjoyed it and everybody in my family liked it. After that, I started looking out for different videos of small DIY stuff that can be made at home. Once I compile a collection of 3-4 ideas, I would plan them out to be cut on a piece of plywood. Then go out, buy and find a carpenter to cut them in required pieces.
This is how I started my woodworking journey in August 2018.
Since then, I got hooked on to woodworking and started watching videos on YouTube, looking at the usage of different tools, going to furniture shops nearby and talk to the woodworkers over there while watching them make different things. These things helped me understand the nuances and gain confidence that I can also do this. I bought various tools and currently, 2 rooms in my house are full of wood, scraps, and tools. Luckily, my wife hasn't started complaining yet about the mess that I make at home :)
The biggest challenge that I faced is that there are very limited resources about woodworking available for India. Almost all of the videos, blogs, articles etc are catering to foreign stuff which either isn't relevant to India or not available. For example, 9 out of 10 videos that you see on youtube, people will be using Table Saw. Though Table Saw is a great and versatile tool, it isn't very popular in India. Same with woods. You will see a lot of outside furniture being made with cedar while you will be lucky to get Cedar in India (I have searched a lot and found one place far away that stock it)
Thus, I thought of starting this blog to write about woodworking from an Indian perspective- writing about woods that are easily available in India, Tools, Finishes and other stuff that is used in Indian market etc. I hope that the contents of this blog will help you to ease up your woodworking journey and you do not have to struggle as much as I did.
I am open to any kind of feedback for improvements, additions, things you want to learn etc. Feel free to reach out to me and I will get back to you...
Happy woodworking...
Cheers,
Rajat
Hi! I'm sad you haven't continued your blog! I was looking for woodworking support in India and came across your blog, but i was so disappointed to see no further posts.
ReplyDelete